#1 12-06-2019 21:02:47

Ziggy
Owner

Telescoping pole locking screws failing

The camper is about 5 years old and most of the screws have become prone to slipping - particularly the ones on the hoops and props inside the tent next to the awning (cos of the extra weight they have to hold).

I was just outback for a month and learned a bit about the problem.

First is that many country towns have lost their camping shop.

Second, roughing up the contact area on the sliding part doesn't help.

Third, hose clips locked at the right place on the sliding part will work as a temporary fix - in fact on the inside end props they've become permanent for me (but the pitch needs to be consistent for the heights to work).

Fourth, an option suggested by Myswaggers is to file the screw point down to increase the contact pressure.

Fifth, replacing them all when you get home is a good idea.  They're called locking screw and T-nut. 
The bottom ends of hoops need to be unbolted from the hinge mount so you can separate the two tubes.
Get the plated ones with the gold colour (like these:https://www.ebay.com.au/p/4x-T-Nut-Thumb-Screw-for-Tent-Awning-Poles-Annexe-Trailer-Tent-Caravans-Ap18/1691595219?iid=111874283049)

Sixth, since you'll be freeing the bottom of each hoop tube, consider adding a locking collar to the ones that have to deal with the awning weight (eg. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111896518777  Note: there are 2 sizes in these)

The last thing I learned is that country folk can be generous: on 3 occasions when asking about replacement screws and nuts in hardware shops I was offered some the owner or a customer listening in had at home that they were willing to take off, if I was going to be around the next day.  How good is that.

Last edited by Ziggy (13-06-2019 04:23:02)

Cheers,
Ziggy

#2 13-06-2019 01:10:31

zepnan
Owner

Re: Telescoping pole locking screws failing

hi Ziggy,

had the same issue last year.i bought a whole batch of new screws to replace and extras as spares.all good now.but it was a bit of pain

when you are trying to find a sweet spot for screw to hold pole.thanks.

peter

#3 13-06-2019 04:22:07

Ziggy
Owner

Re: Telescoping pole locking screws failing

Yeah, the end point of the screw wears flat.

Tightening more starts to damage the  thread.

Cheers,
Ziggy

Board footer